South Korea Information

To be a legal teacher in South Korea you must have the following.

A degree BA or BS from any western country. A work permit.
A TEFL certificate is not always required here but we strongly recommend it.

How do I get my work permit or get the process started?

The procedure for obtaining a working visa for South Korea has been subject to many a change recently so please read below.

A teaching visa in Korea is called an E2 visa. This visa will be valid for one year from the date of entry. After it has been issued you will have 90 days to enter the country. Once you arrive it will be valid for 1 year.

For following factors may want to be considered about your visa application.

Only bachelors degrees of 3 or 4 years will qualify for an E2 visa. Other qualifications such as 2 or 3 year diplomas will not be accepted even with a TEFL or TESOL.

An E2 visa is specific to one school so restricting you from working for any other organisation. This is also the case on many of the other countries on TEFL Jobs Asia.

Once you have found an employer the following information will be required.

1. Original Degree. 2. Two sets of university transcript. 3. A criminal record background check authorisation. 4. Health check statement. 5. C.V. 6. Copy of passport. 7. Copy of contract signed 8. Photos.

This information is sent to the ministry of justice and immigration in Korea where a visa number will be issued.

Once your visa number has been issued you can then apply for a visa along with an interview at the Korean Consulate in your own country. All being well a working visa shall be issued.


You can expect to earn between 2 million won if you decide to work in a hagwon a private school. This will normally require you to put in around 27 to 30 hours a week. Universities will pay higher and a good holiday duration with pay is often the case.


A work permit is required and to get one you will require sponsorship from the institute you will be working for. They will normally require you to have a B.A degree in any subject for this process to be begun. A working holiday visa may be another option for certain nationalities. Having a TEFL is not a necessity here. But we thoroughly recommend it. Our visa FAQ page cover more details.